Sunday, September 02, 2007

We're back!

So, we've been on a little vacation this last week in August.

Kevin spent the month of August in Washington, DC, studying at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology at Walter Reed. It was a great learning experience for him and he had a wonderful time (despite missing his two best girls). I was glad that he had this opportunity through his residency program. We missed him and are happy to have him home again!

Caroline and I traveled up to DC after his courses were finished. We spent a few days in DC, a couple at Virginia Beach, and a couple more in Richmond visiting close friends.

Ready for all the photos? I kept a running journal of our days there, so I'll just do the pictures a day at a time. I really should have taken more pictures (as usual!). Here are the photos and commentary from our arrival and first day. I've put in some links to some of the things we did - for your future reference and ours!

August 24, Arrival - Bryn and Elizabeth took Caroline and me to the airport. The girls were totally enamored with each other in the back seat. Plans for a road trip were tentatively made! Caroline had a large time pushing her stroller and waving at the airplane crews on the tarmac while we waited to board. Right before takeoff, Caroline fell asleep in my lap - so sweet! I was kind of surprised that she took a little nap. When she woke up, we shared a Pepsi, played with some new and special toys, and passed the time quite nicely. For her first airplane trip, she did very well. Kevin (Dada) was waiting for us at the airport. Caroline started squealing when she saw him. We were so happy to be reunited! We had dinner at a Chili's and then moved in to Kevin's very nice apartment. He had a great location and it felt like we had the whole building to ourselves. It was quiet and I think I could count the number of people we saw during the week in the building on one hand. I love that Kevin had cleaned and shopped and prepared for our arrival. Caroline's "habitat" (pack 'n' play) was already set up, as was her highchair. Caroline had a hoodie towel and some of her favorite snacks waiting for her, too. Those little things meant so much to me. I have a really great husband.

August 25, Day 1 - We went to the National Zoo first thing this morning. What started out as a not-so-hot morning quickly turned into an almost unbearably humid midday. Caroline loved all the animals, but especially liked the birds. After hitting the main attractions (elephants, tigers, lions, etc.), we headed back to the apartment for a bite of lunch. Caroline refused her afternoon nap, but played quietly in her habitat for about an hour. We visited the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in the afternoon. It was disappointingly busy, but we were able to find some quiet exhibits. Some of the treasures from the American History Museum were on display, so we were able to see Kermit the Frog and Dorothy's ruby slippers and Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt. Caroline specifically liked Kermit and the first Teddy Bear. On our way back to the apartment, we stopped at "Five Guys" for some delicious hamburgers and fries. Apparently, Five Guys is a chain east of here and are famous for their hamburgers - think Steak 'N' Shake, but better! Those were delicious burgers!!! We ended the day with baths and feet rubs for everyone.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow! You guys covered a lot the first day. I can't wait to read about all the adventures.