Friday, December 23, 2011

Cookies

Caroline came home with a paper from school that asked her what her favorite thing to do at Christmas was. She had written, "Make Christmas cookies." I immediately rethought my "no baking" declaration. Luckily, I have a super-easy sugar cookie recipe and I always have all the ingredients to make them.

We had a good time making cookies and then decorating them the next day!



My favorite thing about this recipe is that the dough doesn't have to be chilled. If I'm going to make cookies, I want to roll them out, use cookie cutters, and bake them right then! It's from Southern Living several years ago and I can't find the recipe online anymore. The frosting is a must!

No-Chill Cut Out Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla. Mix. Sift together flour and baking powder. Gradually add to butter mixture and blend well. Form dough into a smooth ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface (1/4-1/8" thick). Cut out with cookie cutters. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet. Cool and decorate.

Vanilla Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar
1 T melted butter
3 T milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

Mix until smooth. Color if desired. (I love almond flavoring, so most of the time I use 2 tsp of almond extract and no vanilla extract.)

No comments: